Wednesday, April 17, 2013

Squash! Yep, I finally did it!

For at least a year I've been hearing all about Spaghetti Squash, 
and my mental thought process usually starts and ends with
 "I don't eat squash, buhbye!"

Then the day came when I needed a low calorie and low sodium meal and REALLY wanted pasta.  
Highly unlikely, right?!


Bought myself a spaghetti squash 
and ingredients for homemade spaghetti sauce.

I'm just going to send you all the links I used, since they're WAY better at explaining than I am!
mmmmK?!

Here's my stupidly simple spaghetti sauce:
1 can tomato paste
1 can diced tomatoes
1 can water
italian seasoning
1 packet Truvia sweetener (I like sweet sauce)
You could add veggies or meat but I was starving so I scratched those!


Teresa's Spaghetti Squash
1 cup squash 40 cals
1/2 cup spaghetti sauce 25 cals

Total = 65 calories!!!!!!
I didn't feel the least bad about adding a soft rye roll 
or an awesome salad with low calorie/sodium dressing.
My entire meal was 235 calories and I was STUFFED!



I tweeked her sauce a bit but the results were heavenly!


Sauce:

In a jar I mixed
2 Tbsp flour
1 1/2 cup skim milk

In a saucepan I melted:
1 Tbsp light butter
added minced garlic, pepper, italian seasoning

When butter is melted I added the milk/flour mixture.
Add either 1 Tbsp cream cheese OR
because I was out I used a triangle of my Laughing Cow Swiss
and it worked perfectly!
Mix until completely melted with no lumps.

Add 1/4 cup grated Parmesan cheese

Pour over 1/2 of spaghetti squash.
(you could split it between two but I didn't feel like sharing)


CHEESY!

Sauce calories: 350 calories
1/2 of a spaghetti squash: 80 calories
Total : 430 calories!

I tried my best but couldn't finish the whole thing, I probably should've shared ;)

Teresa


No comments:

Post a Comment