Friday, June 7, 2013

A Runner's Prayer

While running I find myself saying these little prayers for myself and other runners I see.
Things I never thought of until I started running,
things I discovered were suddenly vital!


Not intending to be blasphemous but I know God knows me 
and tolerates my extra neediness during runs and tough workouts:


For other runners I see:
May your mind be clear from the worries of the world 
so you may enjoy your run.
May you understand my exasperated smile and partial wave 
are my way of cheering you on!
May that dog roaming free not chase you as he did me
May that snake crossing the path not startle you as it did me.
May you see that giant crack in the road that I didn't 
until it was too late.
May you make it home before the sun sets.
May you reach the end of your run and not have to cut it short.
May your water bottle never empty.
When you are struggling, may your favorite song come on.
May the wind always be at your back.


For Myself:
Give me the strength to make it to the top of that hill.
Bless my feet that they may not go numb, blister or chafe.
Bless my legs with the endurance to complete my run, 
and my knees to keep from buckling.
Let my MP3 battery hold out.
Help me to breathe . . . in and out, in and out.
Please keep snakes, stray dogs and crazy drivers away from me.
Bless my children with safety and extra guardian angels 
while I'm away.
Please let the next song be "Eye of the Tiger."


Amen and luvs,
Teresa










1 comment:

  1. Hi. First, let me tell you congratulations on your journey. Absolutely amazing and inspiring. Secondly, I wanted to thank you for your runner's prayer. A dear friend, who was a marathon runner, recently died of breast cancer and we would like to use this prayer on the final page of her memorial tribute. It is exactly what Linda would have prayed for. We will be crediting your site for the prayer but I didn't want to use it without you knowing. If you need to contact me, my email address is richouxk@gmail.com. Again, thank you! I hope she is smiling down upon this and will be that wind you need next time you hit a wall. Kindly, Kevin Richoux

    ReplyDelete